Monday, March 16, 2009

It's getting old, I know, I know.



(a HORRIBLE youtube video/image but trust me on this song.)

The band Swan Lake has been in heavy rotation these past few weeks since I discovered them. Especially so the song "A Hand at Dusk."

I have not sought out or written any poetry in quite awhile, but of course Poetry will always find us. These words are absolutely paralyzing-

there's a hand at dusk
in the wake in the water its mine
can you take the palm of it
for every time you change your mind
you are the flash of skin
seen through the leaves of anxious trees
the summer's touch just above the knee
just above the knee

I would love to be his state of mind when he wrote this song. I would love to see the things he saw inside his mind. This song is so rich, saturated in visuals. And the structure of it is so complex, so many different layers (listen to the song and you will understand what I mean.) But there is no climax. Each part is it's own climax. Steadily profound and powerful. Not surprisingly films and books I prefer are structured as such. No beginning, middle or end. No climax. Every page, every frame is an experience. Of course there is harmony and unity in the whole. But they are not working just for One/The experience, each stands its own yet understand the greater beauty in "together."

I have to admit, I am absolutely pathetic over the part in the song where he repeats:

It's getting old, I know, I know but you still look good to me in that knee-length checkered dress.
It's getting old, I know, I know but you still look good to me in that knee-length checkered dress.
It's getting old. It's getting old.

No comments: