Monday, May 25, 2009

"We are at once free and enslaved"

"I really believe that if I were not a writer, not a creator, not an experimenter, I might have been a very faithful wife. I think highly of faithfulness. But my temperament belongs to the writer, not to the woman. Such a separation may seem childish, but it is possible. Subtract the over-intensity, the sizzling of ideas, and you get a woman who loves perfection. And faithfulness is one of the perfections. It seems stupid and unintelligent to me now because I have bigger plans in mind. Perfection is static, and I am in full progress. The faithful wife is only one phase, one moment, one metamorphosis, one condition."

-Anaïs Nin

Leave it to Anaïs to always speak my truth. If I were not an "artist" (or whatever I am) I would simply be the best wife (when I am.) It's a juggle and even more so a struggle. Often Sometimes I get a bit sad about it because all I want other than Art is to be a wife and a mother. But no one needs a crazy wife and no child should have a crazy mother. So we yes, move on.


Photobucket

My first painting in a long, long, long time (in progress and taken with a shitty phone camera) My first self-portrait in a long, long, long time as well. I guess, it just was time.

The piece is called "Here Comes the Fucking Bride." I'm in a wedding hanbok and will of course get the red dots on my cheeks like a good bride should.

Photobucket

Photobucket

"For his faithfulness, I give him my imagination. Even my talent, if you will." -A.N.

No comments: