Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Lisa's kaleidoscope

The week I moved into my new apartment my roomie and I went to the neighborhood thrift store to browse for possible additions to our very bare apartment. Sadly there was nothing good, and everything even the bad and the ugly were very much over priced. Just as we were walking out a little "suitcase" (only about 20in x 12in) caught my eye. It had my name written allllllll over it. Part of me knew it would certainly be way over my budget (which is roughly $1 a day. ha.) But, I was so drawn to it and found myself holding it in my hands. To my surprise, the price tag read $2. $2!!! I happily carried it around the neighborhood that day.

There was nothing in it (I checked.) Tonight something told me to look again. I just reached deep into the front pocket and discovered a folded piece of paper. It reads as follows:

"Dear Lisa,

We never know what to give you on your birthday so here is a blast from the past. While prowling through a glass shop in Cannon Beach we found an amazing array of kaleidoscopes. A toy I haven't seen in years. These were far more sophisticated than the ones from years ago, I probably spent an hour looking through them. It's a spectacular way to waste time. I hope you enjoy your birthday. We miss you.

Love
Dad"


If you know me, you know this just made my night and you understand the flutter my heart feels. A girl with this bag carrying a kaleidoscope inside of it... The bag I now carry inside my books, my sketchbook, a toy or two...

Dear Lisa and dad, thank you.


Photobucket

No comments: