Thursday, July 24, 2008

from Diary Volume 5

Photobucket

NINA

She is Breton's Nadja but far more eloquent. She is Nijinsky before he plunged to earth pushed by his earth wife.
She took her bracelet off. She braided her hair. As if the street at midnight were her own chamber and she were preparing to sleep.
Jim could not bear to leave Nina wandering about at two a.m. and took her to his apartment.
Before that, Jim told me, they had seen some giant pipelines resting beside an excavated street. Nina bent over the opening and laughed into the drainpipe and then ran toward the other end of it to see if her laughter would come out of it.
Arriving at Jim's apartment she said: "The room is too small." Then she opened the window and said: "Oh, but there is so much more to this room than I thought. It is enormous."
Then Nina asked for silver foil. "I always glue silver foil paper on the walls to make them beautiful."
She wanted to mop the floor with beer. "The foam will make it shine."
"Do you want to sleep?" asked Jim.
"I never sleep," said Nina. "Just give me a sheet."
She took the sheet and covered herself with it and then slid to the floor saying: "Now I am invisible."

No comments: