Tuesday, April 28, 2009

White Rope II

There are so many white ropes. How could I tie knots into all of them to make all of them useless? Make them beautiful. But useless. I could never get them all. And this morning, another girl found a perfectly fine rope, enough rope for a loop and a single knot. No, no, no, that's not how you do it. You make knots everywhere, you make knots all over so you can't use it. So you can't use it. Please, stop.

I don't like to go into depth what my work is about. But then sometimes, it's beyond "art." The "White Rope" series (I've previously mentioned but didn't explain) is about suicide. More specifically among Korean girls and women. I've come across too many of them just in the past 6 months and I know enough to understand there is something so wrong. There is normal pressure and normal depression and feeling not good enough. But it's more than that. It's not just individual and individual demons and weaknesses. There's a much greater force behind it that pushes. But we don't, I don't, know what it is because it's never talked about. Something is killing our girls. This is murder. We are not weak. They are being killed. Suicide, you don't investigate, you let it rest. Suicide, it's shameful you don't talk about it. But it's not suicide, it's murder. Investigate. Talk about it. Don't blame them. Stop blaming them. We are all getting away with murder. Even I, even I...

What am I doing about it? It feels like nothing but it is something because I don't really know what else to do. So I'm taking these white ropes, and I'm tying knots into them. Over and over again. As many white ropes. I need to make them useless. Knotted, tightly and complicated so they can't be used. I need to take all of them... I need to take all of them...


Photobucket
14

Photobucket
15

Photobucket
16


more "White Rope" drawings

2 comments:

Diomedies said...

Beautiful...
This will sound weird coming from the internet, but if you find a specific way I could help this problem, I'd love to take part.
In the mean time I'll do the best I can.

Michelle said...

It does not sound weird at all. Thank you, thank you. This is something close to my heart, I am just in the very beginning of trying to understand it. Hopefully as days, months, years pass I will have something beyond abstract to help this issue.

Until then, yes let's all do what we can, best we can.

Thank you again. Spreading beauty and goodness can only and always help.

Cheers.