Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

"The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" may quite possibly be the most beautiful movie I have seen. And, I've seen good movies. But this, blew me away in ways I've never felt before. Blew me away that now I am in space. Floating. In pitch black but I see colors. Brilliant colors. And images. Breathtaking memories. Mine. Everyone’s. Before and after me. The only sound, the beating of a heart. Ba boom, ba boom... I am not sure if it's my own, or a collective heartbeat, all the Worlds, in sync.

Now about the film itself. It's quiet, at times it's so quiet it's almost silent. But in that silence, beauty magnifies. And it deafens. It deafens you so you can hear, for the very first time. It moves you. You'll tremble. Little earthquakes will shake your senses awake. Like one that comes in the middle of a dream. You wonder 'did it just?' Yes, yes it did. It has the power of the most desperate natural disaster mother nature could ever inflict yet also the delicacy of a single dandelion seed in the air.

I say this movie, you are a fool if you don't see. You really don't need to see the trailer or read up on it. In fact the trailer doesn't do justice and you are not going to want to know too much about it beforehand. Just go see it. And oh this movie is directed by Julian Schnabel of "Basquiat" and "Before Night Falls." He knows, does beauty. But oh this one. You really did it sir-



offical movie website

movie IMDB site

No comments: