Saturday, January 26, 2008

I love fishes cause they're soooo delicious...

One of the perks of being in LA's got to be K-Town. Los Angeles by far has the best one of all US cities. I have to admit, I've never even been to the one in Chicago, but I know I'm not missing out on much. I haven't explored or gone to as many restaurants as I'd like to have (I need Korean food loving buddies!) still what I've had so far has been excellent. My favorite finds though have got to be freshly made Korean street food that I have not had, or found, since leaving Korea.


Photobucket


The first one is called "boong-uh bbang" which translate to "carp bread/cake." They pour batter into fish molds and fill them with sweet red bean paste. SO, SO, SO good. It used to be my absolute favorite when I was a lil one in Korea and I still remember waiting for my "boong-uh-bbang" on the side walk on my way to school. These were especially good in the winter for some reason.

For LA folks, these can be found INSIDE Han Kook Supermarket at 124 N Western Avenue, all the way in the back. They're only 75 cents each, or 5 for $3. I recommend getting 5 (especially if you don't find yourself here often) then keep the rest in the fridge and when you're ready to eat them pop it in the microwave for 20 seconds then toast it in the toaster to get a hot center as well as crispy outside. It's definitely best fresh, but day or two after is still pretty damn good.



Photobucket


The second one is a sweet "ho-dduk" which is basically a sweet rice pancake. From Metromix LA-"Dduk, in the Korean food lexicon, refers to any pastry made with sweet rice flour—kind of like mochi but not Japanese. Here, it’s formed into a ball, filled with brown sugar, cinnamon and crushed peanuts, then pressed down onto a hot griddle until the dough flattens and turns translucent. The exterior takes on a crunchy fried patina while everything inside caramelizes and oozes together into earth-toned, sugary magma."

This you can find at the small aluminum cart outside of California Market at 5th and Western. They're only a $1 each. These, you gotta eat right away. Only thing is while you're enjoying its deliciousness watch out for the melted gooey goodness filling that may drip onto your shirt. It's so good you won't even notice or really care once you find a stain.

No comments: