Saturday, January 19, 2008

Playground Wars

While I'm out in Cali I thought I'd paint something radom, different, but still pertaining the essence of what my art is about (refer to the artist statement in my last blog.)

It's the election year (if, you haven't noticed.) So, why not have a little fun with it? So I asked myself, what if politicians were kids that had to play it out in the playground? During recess? Doing things the kid way.

Here we have Barack and Hilary playing dress up. They be knights and shit trying to protect that castle of their's. Barack looks a bit sour though. I still gotta put in quite a bit of detail and paint over some parts I no longer enjoy. It's close to done. But also far from it if that makes sense. In the shield I'm gonna put a stylized donkey. If you know, you know why.

And the giraff.... well besides the obvious that I love this thing, if you noticed it's in my painting called "The Council." The giraff has come to represent for me, the councilor, the advisor, the wiseman, the sage, etc, etc. In this case, could it be representhng the American people? Think about it.

Shout out to Grant Wood and "American Gothic." (you see it a little bit, no?) Hard not to find a place for social, political situations of your country in your art. One way, or another.




Photobucket

oil on canvas

30 x 30

No comments: